Friday, September 11, 2009

A Pocket of Peace: Summer 2009

Corraling Wild Mind

We have all been plagued on occasion with “busy mind.” Are you aware of how rambunctious thoughts (or “monkey mind,” as some may call it) can distance you from your inner peace?

Thoughts, by their very nature, will always rush in, to the tune of 60,000 thoughts per day. Some will cause overwhelm and stress. Others will linger and create any number of disempowering emotions: anger, despair, jealousy, frustration, and more. In time, out-of-control thoughts and emotions will take their toll upon us. It is up to us to take charge of our thoughts; to become pro-active and determine how much we are willing to be run by them.

I often think of my thoughts as a herd of wild horses. They can saunter and prance about a bit, enjoy a stroll, and graze peaceably in the pasture. Or, they can become riled up and agitated and, before I know it, they’re galloping along at full speed, racing out of control. In no time, I have lost the reins of my thoughts and “wild mind” has taken over. I might even begin to feel the beginnings of a mental stampede!

Focusing with a Mantra
Focusing is one of the very best ways to corral wild mind. By consciously bringing our thoughts to a center point, we can begin to take charge of them and slow their pace.

 To help us focus, we can use a mantra—a sacred word or phrase whose timbre and tone reminds us of our innate well-being. We can create our own mantra or select one that has significance for us. Depending on our spiritual bent, this can be a scripture passage, chant, or sacred syllable. Or we can simply make up one of our own.

Years ago, when I was struggling with anxiety, I heard a song by Kenny Loggins which contained a lyric that felt like a mantra to me: “I am safe. I am loved. I am free.” When feelings of anxiety would strike, I’d take a few deep breaths and begin repeating these comforting words. Today, my mantra is one I personally created and it works wonders for creating a Pocket of Peace within me. “Believe, breathe, and be well”.  

Select a word or phrase that speaks to your heart. Intend that it focus and calm you.

Begin by centering yourself, breathing in and breathing out, deeply and evenly. Say the mantra slowly, silently or aloud. Focus your attention on the words themselves and what they mean to you. At first, your thoughts may continue to race. It may feel as if you are saying the mantra too quickly. Notice this and slow the pace of the repetition.  

Continue to breathe, maintaining rhythm with the words, inhaling on one word, exhaling on the next, ever so slowly. Establish a pattern that works for you. Repeat the mantra as long as you need to come back to center.  

Remember focusing is a practice that takes practice! Don’t be surprised if after a few repetitions your mind has wandered off. Simply repeat the phrase, pair it with your breathing, and begin again. Focusing exercises are about retraining the mind. This takes time, concentration, and dedication.

Ultimately, using a mantra allows wild horse thoughts to slow down, to gently return with ease to graze upon the open and free pastures of your calm mind. Inner peace can be yours, one breath, one mantra, lovingly said at a time. 

Until next time …
May you be happy.
May you be well.
May you be safe.
May you be peaceful and at ease.

Love and Blessings,
Jan Lundy

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to Ma.gnoliaAdd to TechnoratiAdd to FurlAdd to Newsvine

--------- 
Janice Lynne Lundy is an inspirational speaker, interfaith spiritual director, and the author of Your Truest Self: Embracing the Woman You Are Meant to Be, available in bookstores nationwide and at amazon.com To learn more about Jan, visit her website, http://www.awakenedliving.com/, subscribe to her free newsletter, and receive a new 90-page, inspirational e-book, The Awakened Woman's Guide to Life. Jan welcomes your comments and questions: jan@awakenedliving.com.
 
©2009, Janice Lynne Lundy



No comments: