Not enough women are running.
If you're thinking, "I don't vote for anyone just because they're a woman," hear me out. I'm not saying you should. I'm saying if we had more women running, it would change our conversation around politics.
I think we can all agree, that conversation needs to change.
Pay attention the all the ads, particularly the television ads, and you'll see what I mean. The negativity is overwhelming, the demonizing and blaming at a level far beyond any one person's level of responsibility. Politics is more competitive, more cut-throat, more kill-or-be-killed than ever.
And I've noticed something interesting. Close your eyes and listen to the campaign ads on television and radio. Almost all the voice overs that aren't coming from candidates are male voices.
Call me crazy, I don't think that's a coincidence.
Politics is still a man's world, and I think we have to work harder to balance the scales. Though we are more than half the population, more than half the work force, women are still under-represented when it comes to seeking and holding public office. The problem is complex, the reasons differ among the various political parties. But one thing applies across the board: Women need to have the tools and skills to succeed in politics.
That's why I've committed to raise $1,000 for The White House Project this year, as member of the Michigan Cabinet. The White House Project offers non-partisan training around the state, in campaign and debate skills. What's more, the women who become part of this organization, whatever their political background, create a supportive network that encourages and uplifts women candidates.
Will you please stand with me for Michigan women? A contribution of any amount will go toward building our representation at the local, state and national level. You can send a check made out to "The White House Project" to me at P.O. Box 921, Farmington MI 48332-0921, or you can donate on-line at https://secure2.convio.net/twhp/site/Donation2?df_id=1420&1420.donation=form1 In the "Member name" box, enter Joni Hubred-Golden.
Next time we go through a campaign season, I want to hear more women's voices. How about you?

No comments:
Post a Comment