Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pocket of Peace: June

Your Computer: A Cause of Chaos or Calm?
As I write this month's column, I've just completed a 30-day, self-created, writing sabbatical. I've never given myself a gift this generous, nor one so eye-opening. While walking a sandy beach looking for shells or sitting beneath the branches of an ancient banyan tree, many areas of "me" have been boldly illuminated—one of which is just how habituated I am, habituated to doing things the same way each and every day.

When your schedule is flung wide open with "anything goes" flair, what do you do? One of the things I noticed was, despite the fact that I could frame my day anyway I wanted, I was still drawn to my computer. My intention was to steer clear of it as much as I could. Yet, it's very presence seemed to lure me in, like a moth to a flame. I'd glance at it as I passed through the room where it sat and I was certain I heard a sultry whisper: Come closer. There's something delightful waiting for you here. A note from a friend? An important bit of family news? An enticing new blog post?

Each day my good intentions to vacate cyberspace failed. I was still e-mailing, still blogging, though less than usual. It became very clear to me that I was engaged in a battle with a deeply seated habit of being on the computer—a lot! And it truly felt like that inside of me—a tug of war, a pull toward and a need to push away. I was computer-addicted.

Are you? Does being on the computer form the foundation of your day, for work or pleasure or both? Do you think about it often? Does it rev you up? If so, it may be keeping you from your innate peace.

COMPUTER CALM
Today with e-mail as our primary form of communication, with billions of websites and blogs to visit, we have given ourselves over to a technology that moves extremely quickly. High-speed internet is a must to accomplish any of this. Our computers can process information at the speed of light and we follow suit. The tempo of our minds picks up to keep pace; we scan quickly and move on to the next invitation.

We are prone to multitasking at the computer, all the while having multiple screens open. Moving quickly, processing quickly in this way does not support inner calm.

It was not until I was able to keep my laptop closed—consistently—that I finally noticed how less agitated I was. Since 2007, I'd begun to experience slight chest pressure and anxiousness while sitting at my desk in front of my computer. Until now, I had not made the connection: the pace of the machine and how I responded to it was keeping me from ease. I'm wondering if you've noticed this computer-inner chaos connection, as well.

How can we develop a healthier relationship with this necessary technology? How can we hold onto our peace and still get the job done? Try these suggestions:

Limit your time on the computer each day.
Allow yourself a certain amount of time each day for e-mailing and another for "searching" or reading, and stick to it. Remember that fast-paced communication first thing in the morning can launch your day with frazzle rather than focus. The same is true right before bed. It can wind you up rather than wind you down. The optimum time would be mid-day or early evening.

Take a computer Sabbath day.
Turn off your computer for one full day each week and notice how you feel. If you have a hard time staying away from it and find yourself often thinking about quickly checking it, that's a good indicator it has a significant hold over you. An addictive one, perhaps? Slowly wean yourself off usage and notice how different you feel.

If you are someone who absolutely must spend significant time online each day, consider creating these mini "Pockets of Peace" for yourself:
  • Stop what you are doing, turn off the monitor, and breathe. Engage in a full five-minutes of conscious breathing. Count in to 8 while inhaling; exhale to the count of 10. The exhale is important. It brings the relaxation response we desire and releases tension-inducing carbon dioxide.
  • Do a bit of yoga at your desk. Office Yoga by Darin Zeer is a good guide. It's sure to help you unplug from technology while plugging back into inner calm through simple stretches you can do in your cubicle or office.
  • Re-center yourself with guided imagery meditations that can be found online. Just Google, "guided imagery relaxations" and you'll find hundreds of 1-5 minute videos you can watch at your desk, with beautiful scenery and ambient sounds to soothe you.
  • Sometimes basic is best. Simply close your eyes. Imagine yourself calm and serene, fully in touch with your true nature—pure peace. Say to yourself:
In this moment, life is good.
In this moment, I am happy.
Gratitude and ease fill my days.
All is well in my world. 
----

Janice Lynne Lundy is an inspirational speaker, interfaith spiritual director, and the author of Your Truest Self: Embracing the Woman You Are Meant to Be, available in bookstores nationwide and at amazon.com To learn more about Jan, visit her website, http://www.awakenedliving.com, subscribe to her free newsletter, and receive a new 90-page, inspirational e-book, The Awakened Woman's Guide to Life. Jan welcomes your comments and questions: jan@awakenedliving.com.

3 comments:

Nikki Stephan said...

Great suggestions! I need to listen to this advice. It's so hard to "unplug", but it's also necessary for our mental health.

The Hip Hostess said...

I think a lot of us could use this wise advice on taking the time to disconnect from cyberspace and maintain some balance in our lives. Great ideas, here, especially like the idea of computer Sabbath day.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Nikki,
Glad this resonated with you. Yes, it is very hard to "unplug." We are deeply habituated to busyness and interaction. It takes determination to sever....Good luck with yours!

Ms. Hip Hostess,
I hope you WILL take a computer Sabbath day. I am, and it is truly helpful. Actually, most weeks I do a Sabbath weekend away from cyberspace. It is all about balance, as you say, and most of are waaaay out of balance. Good luck and blessings to you!