Saturday, September 19, 2009

For @MIWomensForum friends: #FollowFriday tweaking

Look, I'm no slave to what is. I try something, and if it works, I stick with it. If it doesn't, I find a way to tweak it. So I'm tweaking my #FollowFriday posts a little, because I think I'm not dong my recommendations justice, and I'll tell you why.

When I hit Twitter on Fridays, I'm blown away by the sheer volume of @s. It's like the crazy cartoon eyeball convention came to town. However, I also click on those @s, because it's easy and because I like finding new Michigan people to follow. I'm here to tell you, I absolutely love spreading the word about what people in Michigan are doing. There's an energy going on here, something just bubbling under the rubble of failed businesses and lost jobs, something steaming up through the grates in our city streets and swirling around vacant commercial buildings and empty houses.

It's happening, and people are talking about it. And on Twitter, I have noticed my Michigan peeps are all about spreading that positive news. Sure, we trade the "oh my gawd can you believe this?" links, but there's good stuff here too. Lots of it. And you should follow the people who are helping to spread it around. That's why I'm making it easier - you can just click and follow, or you can read all the nice things I have to say about my #FollowFriday recommendations, or you can do both.

Of course, you can also ignore me completely, lots of folks do that as well.

Here are this week's #FollowFriday recommendations, just a few of the folks who are pumping up Michigan and Detroit on Twitter:

@OaklandCtyMoms - Here's their latest post: "Qdoba coupon for buy one get one free. Expires 9/20. Click here." What's not to love? And that's just the beginning. Oakland County moms is THE go-to spot for information about events and activities and all things family in Oakland County and beyond. As a bonus, they have an interesting and engaging Web site: http://www.oaklandcountymoms.com

@DetailsinRetail - Lots and lots of positive Detroit and Michigan energy going on, and not all of it's about business. Recent tweets about Ovarian Cancer Month (Sept), @GildasClubDet and other non-profits on Twitter making a difference is what it's all about - expanding the community.

@PositiveCities - Gosh, where do I start? Just follow Erin Rose, visit her Web site and see for yourself what it really means to be positive about Detroit.

@DetroitUnSpun - Sifts through the daily news and finds positive stories to share. And don't we all need that kind of Twit-stream to refresh and revive us?

NEXT WEEK: Chick bloggers!

--JH-G

No comments: