Apparently, I am a whore.
I really hope my grandfather doesn’t read this, because his dream was for me to become the first female President of the United States. But according to more than a few politicos lately, such political leadership is not a real option for me – presumably because of my whoring ways.
Here’s the thing, though: I have never once sold my body for sex.
What I have done, however, is talked publicly about the lack of women serving in public office, and what that deficit means for advancing policy and promoting civil political debate. Earlier this winter, Michigan’s Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer was labeled a “government hooker” by conservative leader Greg McNeilly because she had a similar audacity to write about political sexism in a newspaper.
I’ve also argued in favor of greater access to quality birth control for women. Rush Limbaugh’s remarks last week imply that any woman who shares my opinion – women like Sandra Fluke – is a “prostitute,” and we should videotape our sex life to post online for his personal viewing pleasure. (If we choose to do so, hopefully we’d at least be allowed to charge per view.)
Heaven help me if I’d actually followed my grandfather’s advice and ran for President or Vice President. Then I would have had to compete against other notorious “bimbos” and “sluts” like Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachman.
Perhaps most egregious, I happen to own my own consulting business and work for paying clients. Last January, Michigan state senator Rick Jones called public relations maven Kelly Rossman-McKinney a “hooker” for the same reason. Heck, by that standard, the fact the I’ve ever held any job makes me a prostitute, since the basic employment contract requires that I perform acts for someone else’s benefit (usually a male boss, owner or shareholder) in exchange for a paycheck.
So, I’ve made a decision. I figure as long as I’m out here “turning tricks” for my business so I can afford warmth, shelter and sustenance, I might as well try to do some good with my hooking income. From now on, every time I read or hear about a woman referred to as a hooker, slut, prostitute, or any variation on that theme, I’m adding a dollar to my new “Whore Jar.”
Given the ignorance and disrespect that passes for political commentary these days, I have no doubt my Whore Jar will soon overflow. Come this fall, I’m going to take that money and donate it directly to a progressive, pro-choice, female candidate who vows to focus on innovative solutions for the real problems in this country (like, oh, I don’t know, maybe the economy, jobs, health care, or social welfare) once she is elected.
And when I hand her that check, I’m going to look her in the eye and tell her that I’m donating my “whore money” on behalf of all the other women out here trying to live and work and raise families in a world that continues to degrade our gender because we dare try.
Hopefully, this action will help ease my grandfather’s anxiety when he realizes that the oldest, legally educated, business-owning, outspoken, pride of his bloodline is not actually a leader, but an all-to-common whore.
Shannon M. Garrett helps “average Janes and Joes” to embrace their ambitions for political leadership through her firm, SMG Strategies. Shannon strongly believes that political leadership belongs to all of us – even if you happen to have a uterus. She can be reached at smgstrategies@gmail.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment