Thursday, August 26, 2010

The White House Project PROJECT: Making impossible dreams come true

Imagine, if you will, a Republican candidate and a Democratic candidate in the same room, at the same time.

They are running to represent different parts of the state, but at the same level of government.

Now imagine those candidates talking and laughing, encouraging one another. Imagine one pulls out a checkbook and makes a contribution to the other's campaign.

Seem like an impossible dream? Well, it happened, right here in Michigan. And it happened because of The White House Project, a non-partisan, non-profit organization that provides women with the skills they need to lead more political lives.

Maybe that means running for a legislative office or precinct delegate. Maybe it means getting involved in voter registration or advocating for people who are disadvantaged. The point is to get women involved and engaged in the process by which we elect our leaders. 


We can't do that by hunkering down in our respective party corners. Women are already at a gender disadvantage in politics, simply because we do not have that "critical mass" behind us that men do. Until we start supporting women, training women, encouraging women to run, we never will.

Consider this: In the August primary, 37 alumnae from The White House Project Go Run or Debate Boot Camp training had their names on a ballot, and 24 won their elections. This program works. And that's why I've signed on for another year on The White House Project Michigan cabinet.

I'm kicking off a fund-raising drive today, August 26, to honor Women's Equality Day. Bella Abzug proposed legislation in 1971 to commemorate passage of the 19th Amendment, which gave U.S. women the right to vote. And it seems to me there's no better day to start raising $1,000 that will help provide women with the tools they need to get more involved in the political process.

Here's how you can help:
  • Drop a check or money order payable to The White House Project into an envelope addressed to Michigan Women's Forum, P.O. Box 921, Farmington MI 48332-0921. I'll forward all contributions to Shannon Garrett, The White House Project's Michigan director.
  • Go to The White House Project donation site:
    https://secure2.convio.net/twhp/site/Donation2?df_id=1420&1420.donation=form1 to make a donation of any amount. Under "Please credit this gift to", enter "Joni Hubred-Golden".
I'm ready to change the political landscape in Michigan. I'm ready to see more women in the same room, setting aside their political differences to work together for the greater good. Are you? 



2 comments:

Cattle Talk said...

I'm all for more women in public roles bringing their expertise to bear. On the other hand, I'll not support a woman candidate just because she's a 'woman'. She'll need to be the best person for the job, gender aside.

Dori Steckley

Joni Hubred-Golden said...

I appreciate your thoughts, Dori, and I feel the same way. The White House Project is focused on providing more women who could be the best person for the job with the skills and confidence they need to run for office. There's a lot of untapped potential out there!