When I received a review copy of Opening Doors, Opening Lives, written by Michigan mom Jennifer Greening, I did not expect to get emotionally involved. But her deeply personal story drew me into a world I have only ever seen from the outside.
I met Jennifer at a networking event. Her colorfully covered book was propped up on a table tucked into the corner, and she was deep in conversation. As I thumbed through the book, we chatted a bit, and I walked away. A few minutes later, Jennifer walked across the room and handed me a copy of the book. I had mentioned my nephew had just been diagnosed on the autism spectrum. She thought the book might help my brother and his wife.
That kind of concern and advocacy is at the heart of Opening Doors, Opening Lives, subtitled "Creating awareness of advocacy, inclusion and education for our children with special needs." Jennifer's frustration with a system that seemed to ignore her own daughter's needs at every turn led her to break the bounds of a system she had learned from the inside out, as an educator.
When Marissa was diagnosed with multiple challenges, the Greenings began a journey into uncharted territory. If not for the fact that Jennifer's brother had seen physical therapy equipment for children, they would not have known to ask a doctor for a referral, so that Marissa could begin to get the help she needed. Jennifer shares the lessons she and her husband picked up along the way, in a conversational style that makes this book an engaging read.
One scene, in particular, will touch the heart of every parent. After attending a "special" pre-school, Marissa entered kindergarten at her neighborhood elementary school. When she began the year, she was not walking and could not stand up unassisted. Jennifer was told to encourage Marissa to stand by placing objects she wanted on the table. to encourage Marissa to reach for them.
Just by chance, Jennifer happened to be working as a parent volunteer in the library while Marissa's class was having storytime. The scene she describes brought tears to my eyes:
"When the librarian was finished reading the story, she quietly said, 'Now, stand up and get your books.' With that direction, all the children stood up. And right in front of me, for the very first time, Marissa stood up on her own! Tears instantly fell down my face. I exclaimed, 'Marissa is standing! She got up on her own - she has never done this before!' The kindergarten children stopped in their tracks, they turned to look at Marissa, and then they started to clap. It was the support she needed - from her peers."
The story is one of many Jennifer uses to make an important point: Kids with disabilities and special needs most need the support of all their peers not just the ones like them. As an educator, she brings a unique voice to a discussion that has been going on for decades, and she does so with honesty and grace.
--JH-G

No comments:
Post a Comment