Thursday, February 11, 2010

Michigan Women: Patti Dudek

Meet Patti Dudek, Principal and Attorney at Law with Patricia E. Kefalas Dudek & Associates in Farmington Hills. Her practice centers around estate planning, with a particular emphasis in planning for those on Medicaid, disability rights, real estate, probate, elder law and administrative law.

Patti has also worked as Executive Director with Living Opportunities, Inc. in Royal Oak, which provides technical assistance to people with special needs in accessing the supportive housing of their choice, and prior to that, worked with The Arc of Oakland County, an organization that advocates for persons with developmental disabilities. Among other awards, her professional dedication earned her a National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys Fellow Award, in April 2009. This is the Academy's highest honor and a designation for those who concentrate practice in the field of Elder Law and meet strict criteria. Only 76 attorneys hold this title throughout the United States.

Learn more:

MWF: From your Web site, I can see you're a trailblazer! Tell us about your practice and unique accomplishments.

My practice concentrates in elder law, Medicaid and estate planning, estates/trust administration, probate, administrative law, and disability rights advocacy. I represent people in securing the support services they need to play, work and live fully in their communities through Medicaid litigation, advocacy, trust administration, and Self-Determination.

My work includes advising and preparing estate planning documents, including special needs trusts; representation in Medicaid litigation to secure appropriate services, administration of estates, trusts, guardianship, conservatorship, and other protective arrangements, and contested litigation in these areas. As an outspoken advocate, I often provide written and oral testimony on legal and public policy issues pertaining to my clientele, and their families.

A prolific writer and lecturer on topics related to Medicaid, alternatives to guardianship and estate planning for people with disabilities, elders and their right to control their support services, I authored the model contracts for Michigan’s Medicaid Self Determination Initiative. These contracts facilitate control over Medicaid service budgets and allow for creative solutions for housing and supports for people dependent upon long term supports and services. Another creative solution I use is a Pooled Accounts Trust for Medicaid planning. I was the first attorney in Michigan to draft one of these trusts and to secure approval for Medicaid by both the Social Security Administration and the State of Michigan. I advise on the administration of special need trusts in creating public/private solutions for the support service and housing needs of elders and people with disabilities and their families.

MWF: Why did you choose to make a living as an advocate for the elderly?

I advocate on behalf of people with disabilities of all ages. I was inspired by my older sister, Joann Kefalas, a Special Education teacher, and my grandmother, Jennie Stefanes, who struggled with Alzeimer’s.

Describe your career path (education, training, experience). Did you have mentors along the way, and if so, how did they help?

I did my undergraduate work at Michigan State University from 1982-1986 and am a 1992 graduate of the Detroit College of Law (now part of MSU).

As an advocate for persons with disabilities, I am an active member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and the Academy of Special Needs Planners. I am a member of the State Bar of Michigan, the Oakland County Bar Association and Past Chair of the Elder Law and Disability Rights Section of the State Bar. I volunteer a great deal, including serving as a Board Member of UCP Metro Detroit for over a decade.

Mentors: I had not just one, but several. I’ve been lead and inspired by the loving family advocates I’ve had the honor to work with over the years, including but not limited to, Syliva Kloe of ARC Northwest Wayne County and Judi Summers of Oakland County.

Career Path: I love music and wanted to work in radio in undergrad. I worked for WKAR Radio Reading Service as PR intern at MSU developing PR for service that read to those with visual impairments. When I couldn’t find a job after graduation, I applied to every non-profit in town and was hired by ARC Detroit (Association for Retarded Citizens). Then I found my passion for legal advocacy.

What's the biggest issue or concern shared by your clients, and how do you help them address it?

They worry that their need for long term supports and services (either for themselves, their loved one or both) will exceed the resources available. We develop a plan to access public/private resources and to develop a safety net so they can have peace of mind.

Are there any unique challenges or benefits to being a woman in your line of work?

Way too many to list, but balancing family and practice of law and taking care of yourself is a struggle I face every day.

What advice would you give to a woman considering a career as an advocate?

Make sure you love this work. If you are passionate about it, then it will come naturally and the challenges will be easier to face.




No comments: