(At the time, this amused me no end. I have since learned that Brian enjoys Christmas music, and even more when it's played by a klezmer band
The Jackson Chorale has a decades-long history of Christmas concerts. Every year, they close with "Joy to the World." And I'm not talking about a wimpy-milque-toast-cheery version of this Christian holiday anthem. When the Jackson Chorale sings "Joy to the World," you don't just hear it.
You feel it.
The joy rattles your bones and seeps in through your skin, it echoes in your chest and bounces across your ear drums.
Every year, as I leap to my feet, applauding wildly, I say to no one in particular, "NOW it's Christmas."
This year, I've been really listening to the waves of music that flow through my car radio and accompany my every holiday shopping trip. Because it occurred to me that if anyone took the time to really think about the lyrics of "Joy to the World," no one would ever sing that song without brass and a set of tympani.
It's not "Oh, joy, it's Christmas!". It's "Joy to the WORLD," joy on a GLOBAL SCALE. How is it possible to communicate that without resonance and power?
Or what about another of my holiday favorites, "Oh, holy night"? Ever really thought about these lyrics?
Truly He taught us To love one another;As someone who hovers spiritually between chanukah and Christmas, I am sometimes temporarily blinded by memories of perfect holidays I've never really had and thick stacks of ads that remind me to show my love to others with gifts of gold, opulence and fur. But every now and then - in the glow of a blazing menorah and the wisp of an ancient song lyric heard as never before - I catch a glimpse of What Should Be.
His law is love And His gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break For the slave is our brother;
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
Said the king to people everywhereIt's in there. And if I could wrap it up, I'd give a bit to everyone I know.
Listen to what I say
Pray for peace people everywhere
--JH-G

1 comment:
Joni, this story brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. This kind of piece/peace reminds us all of the true meaning of this season. Your husband gets my applause too!
Post a Comment