It was not to long ago that I was a young girl who lived in the city of Pontiac. My family did not have the best car or lots of money, but I had books and a passion for reading and writing.
Statistics show that kids that embrace literacy early have better chances of not ending up in the legal system or needing financial assistance from government programs. I did not know this as a small girl. I just knew that if I had a book, I had something to do with my time that was worthwhile.
Fast forward to my life as an adult. My love of reading and writing led me to receive a degree in Journalism and Public Relations from Madonna University. I am a published author of a children's book series that focuses on self-esteem and diversity. I realize that literacy is not only a fun past-time but a way out of circumstances that can be detrimental to advancement.
In spring of this year, I decided to search for programs that needed help with literacy efforts. I found "little girls, Big Dreams". This non-profit is a small charitable group that helps out young girls in Pontiac after school with reading, writing, etc. The goal is to show them that it is worth it to stay after school to improve their comprehension level.
This is not a non-profit that is overflowing with a public relations team or many donations. The staff and volunteer base is not very big. This group was my first pick under my "Be A Part of Their Story literacy project," where I educate and advertise the need for literacy empowerment to the community and business members alike.
In the fall of 2009, people stepped up to the plate and bought copies of my books for the girls. I went in and signed them for each girl, and I talked about the importance of reading/writing. My husband and illustrator, Jason, gave a brief tutorial on drawing. They received glitter pens and were thrilled with the gifts.
This holiday season we gave on a much bigger scale, using Twitter to enable me to give even more to the girls. Gardner White Furniture, booksbytara author Tara McClintick and MyBusykits founder, Lorraine Akemann, contributed many goodies for the young ladies. Community members stepped up as well.
The girls were shocked and smiles were plenty as they received their books and other supplies. Natania Swirksi, founder of little girls, Big Dreams was smiling just as big.
If your non-profit group would like to partner with the "Be A Part of Their Story Literacy project" please let me know at whoiamnotwhatiam@yahoo.com
Keep up with Tara on her blog: http://www.whoiamnotwhatiam.blogspot.com/


No comments:
Post a Comment