Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Pocket of Peace: October 2009


Portable Peace

It is easy to maintain a sense of inner peace when we are at home or in a sacred space of our own creation. We can filter what comes in to our environment. We can choose noise or not, interruptions or not. But when we step outside into the “real” world, with its unmitigated noise and human interactions, our peace can quickly slip away. Consider carrying some “portable peace” with you wherever you go, literally holding onto the peace you’ve acquired.


The notion of portable peace involves using “touchstones,” sacred objects we can carry with us wherever we go; tokens of tranquility, which when looked upon or touched, remind us to stay centered and calm.

In the past I have used touchstones such as these: a rosary bracelet, small meditation cards carried in my day planner, a stone from a sacred site tucked into my pocket. It does not matter what these objects are, only that we infuse them with prayerful (intentional) thoughts that will remind us that inner peace is only a glance or touch away.

My portable peace today is a mala (prayer) bracelet, specially crafted for me by a dear friend. I wear it every day. When I see it on my wrist, I am reminded of my commitment to walk a peaceful path in life. The large bead in the center reminds me of my personal icon of inner peace—His Holiness the Dalai Lama. When I feel stressed or rushed, I will often rest my other hand upon it, or remove it and hold it in my two hands, and offer a prayer of some sort. I can do this while waiting in the car or office, in line in a store; wherever I find myself. I carry my peace with me wherever I go. You can, too.

Identifying Your Token of Tranquility   Take a few minutes to sit quietly and reflect upon what you might carry with you or wear that will remind you of your (always accessible) inner peace. A pendant or bracelet? A picture or photograph? A prayer card or written mantra? A shell or stone? Scan your home and possessions to locate something that will work for you. Or, if you like, purchase a new touchstone to serve this special purpose.

Once selected, infuse it with your intention, your desire to be at peace wherever you are. You may want to bless it with a prayer of your choosing; dedicate it to a specific loved one, guide, teacher, saint, or deity. Or, you may simply want to hold it in your hand and say these words:

“I vow to re-orient myself toward peace, to be a purveyor of peace in the world, and may this object help me walk this sacred path.”


Janice Lynne Lundy is an inspirational speaker, interfaith spiritual director, and the author of Your Truest Self: Embracing the Woman You Are Meant to Be, available in bookstores nationwide and at amazon.com To learn more about Jan, visit her website, http://www.awakenedliving.com/, subscribe to her free newsletter, and receive a new 90-page, inspirational e-book, The Awakened Woman's Guide to Life. Jan welcomes your comments and questions: jan@awakenedliving.com.


©2009, Janice Lynne Lundy

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to Ma.gnoliaAdd to TechnoratiAdd to FurlAdd to Newsvine


No comments: